Take care of what you own renters insurance
Why renters insurance is important
You may think you don’t own much, but it probably took years to accumulate your clothes, jewelry, household items and other possessions. Don’t forget the money you invested in a flat-screen television or your other electronics. The costs add up very quickly, and renters insurance will provide coverage for your belongings in the event of a loss.
Plus, it’s affordable – renters insurance often costs less than $20 a month. And if you already have an auto policy, you can save even more.
What it covers
Personal property coverage to assist you in replacing your possessions due to loss or damage from fire, theft, vandalism and other risks
- Liability protection for covered claims made against you or a family member living with you for property damage or bodily injury, which follows you wherever you go, worldwide, and includes the cost of legal representation
- Loss of use coverage for extra expenses you may have due to a covered loss, such as staying in a hotel when you are unable to occupy your apartment
- Coverage when you’re away from home for credit card loss and for possessions stolen or damaged while you’re traveling.
- Credit card loss coverage that will reimburse you up to the policy limit for unauthorized use of your credit cards
Customize your coverage
Personal property replacement coverage, which provides full repair or replacement of your personal property, regardless of depreciation, up to your limit of coverage.
- Scheduled personal property coverage, which provides broader protection for a wide range of valuables such as furs, jewelry and fine art for incidental damage beyond fire and theft. This is a great coverage to have for engagement and wedding rings.
- Special Computer coverage protects your computer, laptop, tablets or smartphones due to loss from certain perils.